Monday, September 28, 2009

concert review

Concert review
I attended the vocal convocation on September 12, 2009 at George Mason University at the Grand Tier III of the Center for the Arts. There were six singers for the master class with Dr. George Gibson. Ronny Bell sang Spriate, Marcos Rivera sang On the Road to Mandalay, Emma McDermott sang Will there Really be a Morning, Nigel Tangredi sang The Vagabond, Wayne Jennings sang Il mio tesoro, and Adrianna Scarlata sang Caro nome. They were accompanied by either Dr. Patricia Parker, or Prof Michael Crabill. One could appreciate the musical preparation to create a magical musical moments. There is a teamwork involved between the singer and the accompanist.

1 comment:

  1. Self evaluation written assignment.
    In preparing the pieces for the midterm, I took apart the piece by playing the hands separately, then together at a slower tempo to achieve correct rhythm. As my prepared piece was in a 7/4 tempo compound tempo, I had to feel the piece in different divisions. The quarter note is the same value in the measure, yet the musical feel is different between the hands. The marcato markings assisted in knowing where the strong beat is in the measures especially in the right hand. The piece is an ABA pattern so I knew if I played the A section correctly it was repeated at the end of the piece. The right hand also had repeated patterns so once I mastered a pattern it was repeated latter in the A section as well, which leads to some level of confidence building. The suggestion of watery indicates a legato line as possible.
    Scales are so much fun to practice. One night when I couldn’t fall asleep, I thought about the fingering patterns, the left hand has for these scales just two patterns, and just G flat is the one left hand pattern and all the rest are the same other pattern. And doing the left hand pattern over and over so that there was muscle memory the scales became easier.
    I know I have a long way to go in becoming proficient in keyboard skills, yet it is started with baby steps that develop with repetition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.