Monday, September 28, 2009

Concert Review

Piano Departmental Concert Review
September 14th
12:30pm
Harris Theater

I enjoyed this concert very much. Seeing as I entered into the class late, the only concert I could attend in time was a piano departmental. One of the piano performers was accompanied by a vocalist. The two of them struck a very nice balance, neither one overpowering the other. The pianist played arpeggio chords to help the singer stay in the correct key. Both musical parts were equally beautiful, and at the end of the piece there was quite a big applause. The rest of the performance was strictly piano. I could not help but stare in fascination of how quickly, and nimbly the different pianist fingers seemed to flutter across the keys. I also enjoyed the contrast between the different performers. One would play a piece with a slow tempo, the next a faster tempo. I found myself pondering why I was so interested in one piece over another, even though I enjoyed all of the songs I heard. I then realized technique and artistry made quite a huge difference in a performer’s piece. I already knew this, but I had not ever paid attention to it before. The more involved and emotion that the performer applied to their piece, the more I found myself enjoying the music. At one point of the concert, a performer forgot the next notes that came in the piece. They improvised on the spot, and it actually sounded quite pleasant. I had already recognized the piece, but to a listener who did not know the music, the improvisation that the performer played would not have clued them that the pianist had forgotten the piece. Overall, it was a very beautiful concert. One piece flowed effortlessly into the next, and gave the audience a chance to escape from the pressures of the world, and sit back and enjoy wonderful music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.