I chose a choral piece that we are performing in the University Choir, Veni Veni Emmanuel. It is a 9th century Plainsong arranged by Allen Koepke for piano and SATB. I found several other versions of this piece on youtube.
The first example was the original plainsong. It is chantlike and simply arranged without paino accompaniment. It is performed by a women's choir and is very beautiful, I like the way the harmonies sound in the church they are singing in, they resonate and blend very beautifully. This particular recording is quite good I enjoyed listening to it several times.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtEnALtK-Yg
The second example is of a brass ensemble performing the peice. It is performed by the Syracuse University Brass Ensemble and the Hendricks Chapel Choir. It has an intro different from the arrangement I have, I like this intro a little better but they are both appropriate. I the arrangement is also different due to the number of different voices the brass ensemble has over the SATB version. Also there is no piano, which is something different about the version I have. The second half of the piece however has a choir and makes this version very unique and interesting. The arrangement is by James Spencer.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkyXk_dcyU
The third example is an arrangement of the melody and is played on the 51 bells of the K. Eijsbouts carillon in St. Nikolai Tower Memorial, Hamburg Germany. It is a very cool arrangement and very interesting. I have never seen this instrument before and it is played in a very interesting way, with the fists. I'm really glad I stumbled on this version it is very pretty and something I have never seen before.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCPQySK_X8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.