Thursday, October 15, 2009

Keyboarding 3 Midterm-Kyra Wagstaff

For my keyboarding 3 midterm, I decided I would tackle "Ring Dance" since it was the one song from the selection of pieces we could do that had an instant pull for me, what with it being upbeat and, in my opinion, a bit more exciting than the others. Who doesn't like bouncy, after all?

The way I conducted my practice of this piece was by first familiarizing myself with the right hand and then the left, taking it much slower than the tempo, and just hearing and feeling it in my fingers. After this, I combined hands, still taking the piece out of tempo, but, again, got a feel for what the piece sounded like when I played it and tried to pay close attention to the parts I found to be more challenging, whether it was fingerings or just playing the correct notes, then would repeat over and over the transitions as well as I could, speeding it up each time in an attempt to record it in my muscle memory.

Once I was able to play both hands together, I began taking it a faster tempo and just repeated this over and over again, continually going back and repeating the parts I stumbled over.

I feel the results of my playing this piece for the midterm went farely well, though I still believe I had better "run throughs," during my practice time and perhaps it was nerves that blocked a more fluent performance. However, I did enjoy learning the piece and definitely feel as though I have learned a somewhat more effiecient way to practice, though there can always be improvements, which of course, I'm willing and hoping to be able to pursue as the year goes by.
Not so shabby for the beginning, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.